Session Moderator Guidelines
Responsibilities of Session Moderators
- Ensuring the session runs to the scheduled time
- Introducing the speakers during the session
- Chairing questions & discussion following each presentation
- Making announcements advised by the Committee.
Duties of Session Moderators
Each moderator will be given relevant details on session speakers to facilitate introducing the speakers.
- Following the introduction, the moderator times the presentation and indicates to the speaker(s) if they are exceeding their allotted time.
- It is the speakers’ responsibility to be familiar with the audio-visual equipment, however, moderators should ensure they are able to operate the equipment in case any of the speakers experience difficulty
- If, at the scheduled time, the speaker has not finished, the bell should be rung and the speaker asked to indicate how much longer they require.
- At the moderator’s discretion, extra time to complete the presentation may be allowed. In allowing additional time, the moderator should consider:
- the number of papers presentations remaining
- whether questions will be allowed
- whether other speakers within that session have been, or will be, given the same consideration.
- At the end of each presentation, the moderator chairs questions from the audience.
- As far as possible, moderators will be allocated to sessions related to their area of interest/expertise. Therefore, the moderator should be able to formulate questions on the session, the moderator should advise the audience when the next session will commence.
Interested in becoming a session moderator??? Email the Executive Committee: mailto:email@example.com